The Ballot Initiative Strategy Center (BISC), is the only progressive organization that works across many policy, organizing, and political organizations, with local, state and national players to analyze and support the ballot measure landscape.
We work with groups to develop the best overall strategy and support funders and partners to make the best investments. To this end, BISC is seeking a talented Campaigns Manager who will provide strategic assistance and support to ballot measure campaigns, state tables, and in- state grassroots organizations with important guidance, due diligence, and analysis.
The Campaigns Manager will have direct experience working on at least two ballot measure campaigns in a leadership role and a deep commitment to racial equity and collaboration.
Location: BISC HQ is located in Washington, DC but the location for this position is flexible. This position may require some extended travel.
Our full-time Campaigns Manager will work with the Director of Strategic Initiatives to:
• Provide advice and support on campaign strategy, plans, budgets, polling, coalitions, targeting, voter guides, and other components of ballot measure campaigns
• Monitor statewide ballot measure activity, identifying trends and updating tracking resources
• Build relationships with national, state, and organizational leaders
• Provide resources and tools to campaigns based on best practices
• Help convene and facilitate small and large group meetings
• Give presentations about the ballot measure landscape and national trends
• Assist the Communications Director in responding to media requests for information and
• Provide administrative and logistical support when needed
• Assist with the planning and execution of BISC’s annual conference
• Support other BISC and BISC Foundation projects and activities as needed
Job requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Proven track record: You have solid experience working on at least two ballot measure campaigns in a leadership role.
• Deep understanding of the ballot measure process and elements of effective ballot measure campaigns: Nothing substitutes for experience and your knowledge ranges from how to write a campaign plan, to how to run a coalition meeting, and universes of voters in the VAN.
BISC is a mission and values-driven organization that recruits and seeks to retain a staff
committed to excellence by fostering a work environment that is flexible, fairly-compensated,
respectful, and fun.
• Collaborative: You know that building a coalition and building true partnerships takes time, trust, and transparency. You understand the complexities of coalition work, including the inherent race, power and privilege dynamics often present, and are able to address them. You also are collaborative with your co-workers: willingly sharing information and tasks to get a job done.
• Results and evaluation driven: You show relentless commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles. You are receptive to feedback and know that evaluating and re-adjusting is critical to long term learning.
• Organized and flexible: You have a plan, but you can quickly adapt when needed. And you understand the plan is better when you collaborate with those around you.
• Effective interpersonal skills: You have a proven ability to communicate effectively with different personalities to move projects forward.
• Strong time management skills: You can balance many projects at once and prioritize accordingly.
• Movement Focused: You have a demonstrated commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
Salary & Benefits
• $60,000 – 70,000 per year
• 100% Medical insurance for family paid for by employer
• Dental insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Paid vacation
• Sick leave
• Generous 401(k) plan with employer contribution
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references by clicking here.
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Ballot-measure campaigns affect everything progressives fight for. Yet, for forty years, well-funded regressive and corporate interests have dominated ballot measures to the detriment of working families, public education, women, the LGBT community, communities of color, immigrants and the poor.
The Ballot Initiative Strategy Center is changing that. BISC strengthens democracy by building a national progressive strategy for ballot measures. In ten years, BISC envisions a future where progressives change the game and use ballot measures as a political and civic engagement tool for victory.
BISC recognizes that ballot measures are a permanent part of the process in the 24 initiative states and that well-crafted measures can be a force for good public policy, civic engagement and infrastructure building.
We strengthen the progressive movement by conducting innovative research, providing technical assistance, hosting convenings, facilitating collaboration, offering strategic advice, conducting campaign assessments and helping funders make the best decisions about allocation of scarce resources.
BISC helps progressives take back the initiative.
BISC’s Stance on Racial Equity
At the Ballot Initiative Strategy Center, we work to transform our country into one that is equitable and just. In our work, we strive to challenge structural racism, and center the people most impacted. BISC works with commitment to racial equity inside our organization in our operations and management processes, and externally through our research, training and organizing work with ballot-measure campaigns, partners and funders.
BISC follows an Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and employs personnel without regard to: race, ethnic or religious background, descent or nationality, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy), gender identification, disability, marital status, age, height, weight, or military service. This policy applies to employment, internships, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, relationships with vendors, use of contractors and consultants and in dealing with the general public.