The Ballot Initiative Strategy Center (BISC), is the only progressive organization that works across many policy, organizing, and political organizations, with local, state and national players to analyze and support the ballot measure landscape.
We work with groups to develop the best overall strategy and support funders and partners to make the best investments. To this end, BISC is seeking a talented Campaigns Manager who will provide strategic assistance and support to ballot measure campaigns, state tables, and in- state grassroots organizations with important guidance, due diligence, and analysis.
The Campaigns Manager will have direct experience working on at least two ballot measure campaigns in a leadership role and a deep commitment to racial equity and collaboration.
Location: BISC HQ is located in Washington, DC but the location for this position is flexible. This position may require some extended travel.
Our full-time Campaigns Manager will work with the Director of Strategic Initiatives to:
• Provide advice and support on campaign strategy, plans, budgets, polling, coalitions, targeting, voter guides, and other components of ballot measure campaigns
• Monitor statewide ballot measure activity, identifying trends and updating tracking resources
• Build relationships with national, state, and organizational leaders
• Provide resources and tools to campaigns based on best practices
• Help convene and facilitate small and large group meetings
• Give presentations about the ballot measure landscape and national trends
• Assist the Communications Director in responding to media requests for information and
• Provide administrative and logistical support when needed
• Assist with the planning and execution of BISC’s annual conference
• Support other BISC and BISC Foundation projects and activities as needed
Job requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Proven track record: You have solid experience working on at least two ballot measure campaigns in a leadership role.
• Deep understanding of the ballot measure process and elements of effective ballot measure campaigns: Nothing substitutes for experience and your knowledge ranges from how to write a campaign plan, to how to run a coalition meeting, and universes of voters in the VAN.
BISC is a mission and values-driven organization that recruits and seeks to retain a staff
committed to excellence by fostering a work environment that is flexible, fairly-compensated,
respectful, and fun.
• Collaborative: You know that building a coalition and building true partnerships takes time, trust, and transparency. You understand the complexities of coalition work, including the inherent race, power and privilege dynamics often present, and are able to address them. You also are collaborative with your co-workers: willingly sharing information and tasks to get a job done.
• Results and evaluation driven: You show relentless commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles. You are receptive to feedback and know that evaluating and re-adjusting is critical to long term learning.
• Organized and flexible: You have a plan, but you can quickly adapt when needed. And you understand the plan is better when you collaborate with those around you.
• Effective interpersonal skills: You have a proven ability to communicate effectively with different personalities to move projects forward.
• Strong time management skills: You can balance many projects at once and prioritize accordingly.
• Movement Focused: You have a demonstrated commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
Salary & Benefits
• $60,000 – 70,000 per year
• 100% Medical insurance for family paid for by employer
• Dental insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Paid vacation
• Sick leave
• Generous 401(k) plan with employer contribution
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at BISC, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.