Director of Operations and Finance
BISC seeks a highly skilled financial and operational leader with strong c3 and c4 compliance and systems management experience while also providing governance and other guidance to the Board of Directors. The Director of Operations and Finance will work closely with the Executive Director to ensure BISC's organizational health, continuity, and growth with a focus on achieving BISC's 5 year strategic plan.
BISC is a mission and values-driven organization that recruits and seeks to retain a staff committed to excellence by striving to provide a work environment that is flexible, fairly-compensated, respectful, and fun.
The Director of Operations and Finance is a Washington, DC based position, reports to the Executive Director, and supervises the Operations Manager.
Serve as a member of the senior leadership team and work with the Executive Director to create a vision and strategy to support BISC’s administrative, financial, and operational systems to ensure long-term organizational health.
Manage organization-wide annual budgeting process and systems to track goals and accomplishments for sound operations and financial health.
Work with accountants and operations manager to prepare financial statements, draft talking points for c3 and c4 board treasurers, and present financials and budget to the board.
Lead organizational compliance work, including work with both c3 and c4 attorneys, in-kind, and non-profit/political committee management.
Work with the Development Director to develop revenue strategies, review grant agreements and reports make sure we are c3 and c4 compliant.
Work with the Director of Programs to ensure that projects and initiatives align with budgets and any grant restrictions/requirements.
Reconcile expenses, track revenue and spending, process invoices, payments, and reports, complete and submit compliance forms and other filings, including 990s and annual audit.
Manage all finance and human resources vendors and consultants, accountants and auditors and review all contracts.
Supervise operations manager and provide support to annual audit.
Manage all internal systems and develop guidance to staff on these systems, including but not limited to email, Bamboo, e-Tapestry, Tallie, Bill.com, and Slack.
Serve as a strategic, efficient, and creative leader of staff meetings and retreats, and with an eye towards organizational systems and financial health.
Provide operations support to the Board of Directors for both BISC Inc and BISC Foundation, ensuring good governance, oversight, and coordination of both organizations.
Maintain a sophisticated understanding of all of BISC’s work and the latest issues and how our work fits into and helps shape the progressive landscape.
Contribute to BISC’s values and racial equity work.
Participate in the planning of BISC’s Road Ahead conference and work with senior leadership to ensure the event is a success.
Record of success: At least 7-10 years’ experience working in and managing operations and finance at non-profits and political campaigns. Demonstrated track record in financial management.
Deep Understanding of c3 and c4 operations and legal designations. Given the nature of BISC’s work and role in the progressive movement, political acuity is necessary.
Excellent writing skills: Strong technical and rhetorical writing skills as well as a demonstrated ability to write independently and under tight deadlines. Storytelling – you must be able to communicate a vision especially through the organizational budget to communicate BISC’s impact.
Driven: Flexible and organized and shows relentless commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
Effective interpersonal skills: Proven ability to communicate effectively with different personalities to move projects forward.
Strong time management skills: Proven ability to balance many projects at once and prioritize accordingly.
Team Player: Ability to work as a team member who will productively engage with others at varying levels of the organization and with partners.
Movement Focused: Demonstrated commitment to the progressive social and racial justice movement with an eye toward long-term power building and change-making.
Salary & Benefits
$100,000 - $120,000 per year
100% Medical insurance for family paid for by employer
Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
Generous 401(k) plan with employer contribution
The Ballot Initiative Strategy Center (BISC), is the only progressive organization that works across many policy, organizing, and political organizations, with local, state and national players to analyze and support the ballot measure landscape.
We work with groups to develop the best overall strategy and support funders and partners to make the best investments. To this end, BISC is seeking a talented Campaigns Manager who will provide strategic assistance and support to ballot measure campaigns, state tables, and in- state grassroots organizations with important guidance, due diligence, and analysis.
The Campaigns Manager will have direct experience working on at least two ballot measure campaigns in a leadership role and a deep commitment to racial equity and collaboration.
Location: BISC HQ is located in Washington, DC but the location for this position is flexible. This position may require some extended travel.
Our full-time Campaigns Manager will work with the Director of Strategic Initiatives to:
• Provide advice and support on campaign strategy, plans, budgets, polling, coalitions, targeting, voter guides, and other components of ballot measure campaigns
• Monitor statewide ballot measure activity, identifying trends and updating tracking resources
• Build relationships with national, state, and organizational leaders
• Provide resources and tools to campaigns based on best practices
• Help convene and facilitate small and large group meetings
• Give presentations about the ballot measure landscape and national trends
• Assist the Communications Director in responding to media requests for information and
• Provide administrative and logistical support when needed
• Assist with the planning and execution of BISC’s annual conference
• Support other BISC and BISC Foundation projects and activities as needed
Job requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Proven track record: You have solid experience working on at least two ballot measure campaigns in a leadership role.
• Deep understanding of the ballot measure process and elements of effective ballot measure campaigns: Nothing substitutes for experience and your knowledge ranges from how to write a campaign plan, to how to run a coalition meeting, and universes of voters in the VAN.
BISC is a mission and values-driven organization that recruits and seeks to retain a staff
committed to excellence by fostering a work environment that is flexible, fairly-compensated,
respectful, and fun.
• Collaborative: You know that building a coalition and building true partnerships takes time, trust, and transparency. You understand the complexities of coalition work, including the inherent race, power and privilege dynamics often present, and are able to address them. You also are collaborative with your co-workers: willingly sharing information and tasks to get a job done.
• Results and evaluation driven: You show relentless commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles. You are receptive to feedback and know that evaluating and re-adjusting is critical to long term learning.
• Organized and flexible: You have a plan, but you can quickly adapt when needed. And you understand the plan is better when you collaborate with those around you.
• Effective interpersonal skills: You have a proven ability to communicate effectively with different personalities to move projects forward.
• Strong time management skills: You can balance many projects at once and prioritize accordingly.
• Movement Focused: You have a demonstrated commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
Salary & Benefits
• $60,000 – 70,000 per year
• 100% Medical insurance for family paid for by employer
• Dental insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Paid vacation
• Sick leave
• Generous 401(k) plan with employer contribution
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at BISC, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.